Finally attacked the color today….. alot of relearning and new learning to do. Before this pass, in grayscale, I have been able to paint alla prima, but now I have several layers in the file. I still would like to take this a lot further if I can find the patience and the way.
Edit: In an effort to be more scientific and methodical, I’ve decided to write some things down here.
List of things I see to do to bring this design further:
– add wasps, some clinging onto the hive, so in air flying
– more color (possibly blue or red in tail)
– more texture in tail/ wasp-stripe pattern on tail/ clarify different materials
– final polish, highlights, focus points
-background- integration with creature/ floor plane with cast shadow
The reason I am doing this is because I realized I have reached this point in the past and it is perhaps the turning-point for where my past illustrations have failed for me. In other words, I need to figure out a method for progression from this point on. Ideally I would hope that by this point the design and the values for the creature were already nailed down. But I have already been adjusting the value ranges while doing the color pass. In the past I may have just stuck with what I had now, but I think that was out of stubborness and impatience. Here is a list of possible design changes I may still implement:
– add incandescent areas to the creature (and figure out why it needs them)
– add detail to the head such as antennas; clarify eyes
– give the creature double (dragonfly) wings (afterall, this is the hive queen- she should look functional and distinct)
This being said, I already think I have entered the uncanny valley of beating dead horses with this piece. Once again, I feel like I have over-rendered it. I originally wanted it to still have a raw, sketchy feel to it that the inital concept sketch had. I want my concepts to have a grittiness to them as though they are purely inspired, instantaneous snapshots of my imagination. But then again, the original concept sketch for this creature is vastly different from what I have now. It was a sketch from my stream of consciousness. I didn’t even know that it was going to be a creature when I drew it. And I want to be able to take these undirected sketches and turn them into designs with meaning. So I suppose now I need to find a way to still retain the vitality of the initial sketch after it is no longer a sketch.